As you may know, I own a GP2X f-200. I really like it. I use Game Editor and a few other tools to write little games and experiment with it. I also use it for watching movies when I travel. I think the touchscreen is awesome and underutilized. Unfortunately the GP2X never seemed to get much love from the homebrew community. No one saw a need to upgrade from GP2X to GP2X f-200. There just wasn’t enough in the package to justify adding a new device with essentially only touchscreen support.
Now, here comes the Wiz. The Wiz has some cool positive points. But it has some negatives which I can see already from the brochure below.
First, the positives.
- smaller form factor than GP2X and GP2X f-200
- an OLED touchscreen
- Flash support (w00t!)
- a microphone for voice recording
- a better pointing device than GP2X f-200, and a slot to store it
- a planned game release schedule – this was fumbled on GP2X, it would be nice to see this on the new device
- more power and all that…
Now for the negatives.
- two freaking D-Pads? WTH?! They just don’t get it. The community whined and wailed for lack of a D-Pad on GP2X and GP2X f-200, so now they release a device with two and no A/B/X/Y buttons.
- A 2.5 headphone jack. Arrgh.
- The L and R buttons on the top of the device look like suckage. I liked the buttons they way they are on the GP2X; we’ll have to see how these new buttons hold up.
- looks like only SD card support. Why no SDHC support?!
Here is the giant JPG brochure announcement for the GP2X Wiz.